Survival gear is important to be stored at home to help a household especially during emergency situations. Every family should have available a survival kit they can rely on, especially helpful during emergency cases. Survival kits must consist of essential supplies and tools that are prepared in advance and intended for emergencies like natural calamities from stormy weather to black outs. The ultimate survival gear must contain first aid kits, food and water, medicine, sleeping bags, flashlight, and more.
Your survival kit does not need to be that expensive; with the right information and research, one can get complete and quality kits without breaking the bank.
An ultimate survival kit requires appropriate storage for all the tools and supplies needed, this is normally placed in a sturdy bag. There are many survival bags that are designed for different individuals, try to look for a bag that have multiple compartments to keep tools organized based on the following categories: First Aid Kit, Food and Water, and Survival Essential Supplies
Every family must be ready at all times because when emergency situations strike it may become difficult to leave the house for several days. During the disaster, health and other problems may arise making survival more difficult without these supplies. This is the reason why families must know and understand the uses of the following survival gear and supplies:
- Food and Water – The most essential for a family to acquire during an emergency is a source of food and water. Water is necessary for survival. Try to stock enough water and buy a stainless water tumbler with measurements to be able to identify how much water is used up. Proper conservation of water is needed because rescue may be delayed. In addition, depending on the person’s needs, water can be bought at least 1 case every month and stored on a dry and cool place aside from the survival bag. Try to store at least 1 gallon of clean and drinking water for each family member. According to some experts, it is encouraged to store for a minimum of 3-4 days with additional amounts for sanitation needs and cooking.In addition, the family must have 3 days supply of food. These food products must be ones that do not require refrigeration. Try to buy foods that are dehydrated and/or ready to eat foodstuffs that have a long expiration date and that can last for at least 2-3 weeks. When it comes to food during such circumstances, families must remember to store food that are ready to eat, canned juices, high-energy foods, vitamins and food for the baby. During emergency scenarios, conserving energy is very important for a person to survive. When choosing the right kind of food, try to pick foods that are rich in energy. Nuts and candy bars are also a good idea to be included in the list food products to be included.
GOFoods are ideal for a long-term food storage solution that’s not only healthy and nutritious, but economical as well. The average cost for one of our entrée meals is just a little over $1.60 per serving. Not only will you save money today but you will save even more when you reserve these delicious, gourmet products for future use. Compare our remarkable products to other food storage company products and we are confident you will like the results. Our Serve, Save, and Share model, combined with our delicious products, provides a winning formula that makes GOFoods the right choice.
- Medicines – When it comes to survival, medicines are also one of the important survival supplies needed at home. The following over the counter drugs must be stored: antacids, pain killers or antacids, syrup of ipecac for poisoning, laxatives, anti diarrhea and such. Families must also not forget to store emergency prescription medications particularly for family members with serious health conditions. Medications are difficult to be acquired during emergencies, it is important to be prepared making medication a priority on the lists for survival.
- First Aid Kit – During emergencies, there is a high probability for individuals to be injured perhaps from fallen debris or to become sick. Aside from the medicine listed above, a first aid kit is also needed for such emergency cases. This is especially applicable for stormy weather because paramedics are expected to be delayed to respond. First aid is a prompt health care solution for health issues during emergencies and while waiting for or in the absence of a medical health team response.According to the American Red Cross, each family must have a first aid kit that consists of sterile gloves, sterile dressing, bandages in different size, 3×3 sterile gauze pads, cohesive bandage, alcohol, antiseptic wipes, anti-bacterial ointment, medical non-latex gloves, cold packs, tweezers and scissors.
You might also want to include:
• Adhesive tapes and Gauze pads
• Disinfectant pads
• Medical tweezers
• Surgical scalpel or razor
• Antihistamine and Epinephrine for allergic reaction, commonly to insect bites or stings
• Oral rehydration powder
• Oxytetracycline tablets for infection or diarrhea
A simple wound can cause infection and without first aid, it can lead to serious complications. This is why a first aid kit is included on the list of ultimate survival gear needed for the home.
- Other Tools and Supplies – Families must prepare disposable plates and utensils, metal cups, bathroom tissue, garbage bags for proper disposal and hygiene products such as soap, feminine products, and toothpaste. When it comes to clothing, family members must include preparing emergency clothing, at least 2-3 pairs and waterproof footwear.Other essential tools and supplies used during emergency scenarios can help a person to survive or signal for help. When choosing your own survival essential supplies, it is important to buy ones that are a priority. Buy matches or any fire starters that are affordable and waterproof. Do not forget to buy a multi-tasking knife; it is useable for many things. Get a flashlight with long lasting batteries plus extra batteries because it is useful at night or in dark places. In some cases, nylon wires and fishhooks are also emergency supplies to help catch fish to relieve hunger.
Do not forget to include diapers for infants, sleeping bags for each family member, thermal underwear, rain gear and blankets. When it comes to tools, store items that are non-electric like can opener, pliers, wrench, whistle, compass, plastic containers, signal flare, and writing equipments. In addition, families must not forget to store battery powered radios to be updated of news or signs of rescue.
Although law does not require you to have the survival gear, emergency experts encourage every household to prepare these essential gears at home because it is one of the best defenses in terms of surviving emergency disasters.