Infographic: Be Ready! Floods
Be Ready! Floods
- Gather emergency supplies and follow local radio or TV updates.
- Unplug appliances to prevent electrical shock when power comes back on.
- Do NOT drive or walk across flooded roads. Cars and people can be swept away.
- When power lines are down, water is in your home, or before you evacuate, TURN OFF gas, power, and water.
- Tie down or bring outdoor items inside.
- Recognize Flood Risk
- Identify flood-prone or landslide-prone areas near you.
- Know your community’s warning signals, evacuation routes, and emergency shelter locations.
- Know flood evacuation routes near you.
- Throw away items that cannot be disinfected, like wall coverings, cloth, rugs, and drywall.
- Use fans, air conditioning units, and dehumidifiers for drying.
- For cleanup, wear rubber boots and plastic gloves.
- Clean walls, hard floors, and other surfaces with soap and water. Use a mixture of 1 cup bleach and 1 gallon water to disinfect.
- Caution! Flood water may contain trash.
- Practice Safe Hygiene
- Wash hands with soap and water to help prevent germs.
- Listen for information from your local officials on how to safely use water to drink, cook, or clean.
For more information visit: https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/floods/index.html
Content Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention